Speed-Dating a City
When you only have ONE day to see your favourite girl, il faut voir toutes les choses!
31 August, 2026
Possibly the only selfie you'll see this trip!
What a day!
Slept well (well, for me) - woke at 6am. Had a leisurely start to the day; love the included breakfast at this hotel. Shout-out to Hôtel Malte! - we stayed here back in January and I loved it so much that I booked it again for this visit. There is a sense of home-comfort that I've never experienced in any other hotel in my whole life.
I left the building with a Plan! A bunch of things that I wanted to see, that are off the touristic beaten track. Made a map. Did not follow the map!
When you get away from the major tourist attractions, and wander the streets of Paris, a bunch of things become apparent.
The Haussmann arcitecture is really only in the city centre. As you venture further and further away, you get high rise, you get modern, you get all sorts.
Shopping seems to be in clearly delineated clumps. Yesterday in the taxi, we traversed a street, the entirety of which was given over to wedding clobber. Shop after shop after shop, all the same stuff, why do they bother? Most of it was masculine attire, too! - almost more than the feminine! Today I saw clots of: funerary; home renovation; oh look, here's the lingerie district; there were more and I am sorry I can't remember them now (Note to self: make Notes in phone for later blogging).
A lot of the pics I took today are not the run-of-the-mill touristy stuff. They are the everyday Parisian stuff, stuff that I found amusing. The entire goal of this trip is to NOT be a tourist - to be a resident, even just a very temporary one.
Also! The weather! Weather in Paris is like weather in Melbourne. Don't like it? - wait five minutes. We had three seasons out of four today! (excluding snow, which I forgive because we had that in January). I left the hotel in a long coat. Ended up carrying it most of the day because too hot. Had to put it on again, just because of the WIND, omg the wind!!! Then later in the afternoon, it rained! Yay for coat! Parisians and tourists alike freaking out at the rain (it wasn't even ap roper downpour: I happily put my coat back on and went out in it on purpose! - and then it stopped! Ripped off)
Please give a shout-out for the last pic, which is my KM walked today. I deserve a freaking medal.
A couple of photos, especially for Ferdi 😜 |
No comments:
Post a Comment